Visa Requirements for South African Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of South Africa
Visa Not Required
56 destinations allow visa-free entry to South African citizens.
- Visa-Free30 daysAvailable at Hamad International Airport. The Visa Waiver Facility (of 30 days) cannot be facilitated if stay is less than 1 night, a Transit Visa should be applied for instead. Label is put in the passport in addition to a stamp upon arrival after satisfying the entry requirements.
eVisa, Transit Visa from Qatar Airways (9–96 hours) and ETA are also available. eVisa refers to a Tourist Visa. These three methods are all acceptable alternatives for tourism should the South African passport holder wish not to use the Visa Waiver Facility available upon arrival.
Male travelers who are ordinarily a resident in Qatar require an Exit Visa/ Permit.
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 18 destinations for passport holders of South Africa.
South African passport allows entry to 16 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 10 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of South Africa.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival1 monthVisa on arrival available at Manas International Airport.
Electronic visa holders must arrive via Manas International Airport or Osh Airport or through land crossings with China (at Irkeshtam and Torugart), Kazakhstan (at Ak-jol, Ak-Tilek, Chaldybar, Chon-Kapka), Tajikistan (at Bor-Dobo, Kulundu, Kyzyl-Bel) and Uzbekistan (at Dostuk).
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at international airports Luangphabang, Pakse, Savannakhet and Vientiane, and at 4 land borders Friendship Bridge,
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through the following entry points — Wattay International Airport and the First Thai–Lao Friendship Bridge
Entry points Lalai, Lantui, Meuang mom, Pakxan, and Phoudou are open only to visa holders.
Visa on arrival is extendable up to 60 days.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
92 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of South Africa. This requirement may be waived off if South African citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
- Visa RequiredMay apply online (Online Visitor e600 visa).
Transit visa is not required.
Biometric Collection is mandatory upon request for the Online Visitor e600 Visa.
Visas can be issued within a matter of seconds depending on the length of queue once all the appropriate information is provided including Biometrics.
Departing Passengers may use SmartGate for a faster entry into the passenger area, this is not applicable to arriving passengers for entry into Australia.
- Visa RequiredHolders of a valid multiple entry visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state, Monaco, Croatia, Cyprus or Romania may also travel to Bulgaria without an additional visa, for a stay of up to 90 days in any 180-day period or until visa expiry date (whichever is closer)
- Visa Required24-Hour Transit Visa obtainable at the airport.
5 day Schenzen Visa available at the Shenzhen border if travelling from Hong Kong or Macao. Visa holders must stay within the Shenzhen City and surrounds, not travel to other cities and leave at the end of the 5 day permission. Travelling to Guangzhou would be in violation of the conditions.
- Visa RequiredHolders of a residence permit issued by Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman or the United Arab Emirates, can obtain a visa on arrival for a maximum stay of 30 days. The residence permit must be valid for a minimum of 6 months from the arrival date. Must enter Egypt by air.
- Visa RequiredEntry into Northern Ireland from Ireland is not permitted if the South African passport holder does not have a valid UK Visa.
Visa checks may be carried out if travelling by land between Ireland and Northern Ireland (UK). Further checks are implied when travelling by boat or from Northern Ireland (UK) to mainland UK (Great Britain).
UK direct-airside transit and transit by land visas cannot be used for travel to Ireland by transiting the UK, this is because entry in the first country (either the UK or Ireland) is considered entry to the entire Common Travel Area (UK and Republic of Ireland). Standard Visitor Visa required for the purpose of any transit.
- Visa RequiredHolders of residence permit's issued by Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Qatar, Oman and the United Arab Emirates may apply for an eVisa if the main applicant works in a specific profession. Dependents holding residence permits may also obtain an eVisa, on the conditional they will enter Kuwait with the main applicant.
- Visa RequiredHolders of a valid multiple entry visa or Residence Permit for the Schengen Area may enter North Macedonia for up to 15 days visa free. A temporary residence permit of a Schengen member state is accepted since February 27, 2019. Holders of a valid UK, Canada or USA visa may enter North Macedonia for up to 15 days visa free.
- Visa RequiredResidents of French overseas departments and territories, Danish territories and Dutch Caribbean territories, permanent residents or valid visa holders of the United Kingdom or countries that comprise the Schengen area, holders of Permanent Resident Cards or valid visas issued by Canada, holders of permanent residence permits issued by Chile, holders of permanent residence permits issued by Colombia, holders of Permanent Residence Card, Permanent Re-entry Permit or valid visas issued by Japan, holders of permanent residence permits issued by Peru and holders of valid US visas or Green Cards - may enter Mexico without a visa for up to 180 days.
Passport holders with less than six months validity may face difficulty when attempting to enter as a Business Visitor/ Tourist as they are usually permitted six months stay which might exceed the passport's validity.
- Visa RequiredNationals of South Africa may visit Montenegro without a visa for up to 30 days if they hold a passport with visas issued by Ireland, a Schengen Area member state, the United Kingdom or the United States or if they are permanent residents of those countries. Residents of the United Arab Emirates do not require a visa for up to 10 days, if they hold a return ticket, fly directly in and out of Tivat Airport on FlyDubai and hold proof of accommodation.
- Visa RequiredHolders of an Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Resident Return Visa may be granted a New Zealand Resident Visa on arrival permitting indefinite stay (pursuant to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement), subject to meeting character requirements and obtaining an Electronic Travel Authority prior to departure.
- Visa RequiredMay apply online. Emirates Airline (Dubai) and Etihad Airways (Abu Dhabi) routinely provide this service. Entry is only valid on condition that travel is made with the airline where the online visa is applied for and ticket is issued.
Visa not required in advance if in possession of the Right of Abode in the United Kingdom with a Certificate of Entitlement in Commonwealth passport, may enter the Emirate of Dubai in the same way as a British Citizen.
- Visa RequiredRight of Abode holders with a Certificate of Entitlement in their Commonwealth passport may enter the United Kingdom and remain indefinitely.
Temporary Visa holders can only enter for 3 months if entering from the Republic of Ireland (Eire).
The Crown dependencies include the Bailiwicks of Jersey and Guernsey as well as the Isle of Man. The same Visa Policy applies mainly to the British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar, therefore a United Kingdom Visa can be used.
Transit Visa Required unless in possession of an exemption document; Australian, New Zealand and all other Visas with confirmation slips/ electronically granted Visas with a paper print-out as confirmation are not permitted as an exemption document unless endorsed by the airline. Note: Schengen Visa type "C" is not an approved exemption document. Entry must be refused or denied boarding on vessel. Direct Airside or Transit Visa required depending on type of transit.
Entering the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland) by land, sea or air from the Republic of Ireland is not permitted unless in possession of a valid U.K. Visa or Immigration Document. UK Land or Transit Visa cannot be used to transit the UK from Ireland or from Ireland to the UK, a Standard Visa is required.
- Visa RequiredHolders of a B1/ B2 (B) Visa, Permanent Resident Card, D Visa who have entered the United States at least once since 2008 may use the Automated Passport Control (APC) Kiosk for faster processing at selected airports, before proceeding to a US Customs and Border Protection officer for finalization of entry into the United States.
Available locations include some United States border preclearance facilities as well.
Information last updated on .