Visa Requirements for Puerto Rican Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of Puerto Rico
Freedom of Travel
Puerto Rican passport holders can travel to 3 destinations without a visa. Identify cards or passports may be required.
Visa Not Required
110 destinations allow visa-free entry to Puerto Rican citizens.
- Visa-Free6 monthsAnyone with a criminal record (including misdemeanors or alcohol-related driving offenses in the US) may not be able to enter Canada without first obtaining an approval for rehabilitation
Passport Card, NEXUS card, or Enhanced Drivers License valid for Land and Sea Travel
US citizens exempt from obtaining Canada ETA
- Visa-Free90 daysDual nationals of Israel and the United States who don't have an Israeli passport, including infants, may be required to obtain an Israeli passport in order to leave Israel.
Entry prohibited for any person "who knowingly issues a public call for boycotting Israel".
- Visa-Free180 daysVisitors must obtain a Multiple Immigration Form. There is no charge for a tourist FMM for stays of less than 7 days when entering by land. For visitors staying more than 7 days and entering by land, it will cost 687 Mexican Pesos or nearly 40 USD. The FMM is required for all visitors entering via air, regardless of length of stay, and the cost is included in the traveler's airfare and remitted by the airline.
Passport Card or Enhanced Drivers License is valid for Land and Sea Travel
- Visa-Free14 days / 30 daysVisa exemption valid for 10 days
Holders of a visa or entrance stamp of the Emirate of Dubai that is valid for at least 21 days are visa exempt.
Holders of a visa for Qatar that is valid for travel to Oman and valid for at least one month are visa exempt when arriving directly from Qatar.
Iris scan is taken on arrival.
- Visa-Free90 daysAll visitors are fingerprinted. From September 2021, travelers require a K-ETA.
The government of the Republic of Korea announced that from April 1, 2023 to December 31, 2024, the Korean Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) is no longer required for U.S. citizens visiting Korea for 90 days or less for business or tourism.
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 16 destinations for passport holders of Puerto Rico.
- Visa On Arrival30 daysAvailable at Dhaka, Chittagong, and Sylhet international airports.
No visa required for Bangladeshi Americans and their spouse and children with a copy of a former Bangladeshi passport, a Dual Nationality Certificate, NVR, a Bangladeshi NID, or a digital birth registration certificate.
Puerto Rican passport allows entry to 24 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
- eVisa30 days30 days extendable once.
Visitors who have been granted an online pre-visa or have requested a pre-visa from an Angolan consulate abroad are issued a visa upon arrival at the country's border crossings.
Maximum total stay of 90 days within a one-year period.
Visitors must have a return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation confirmation.
International Certificate of Vaccination required.
- eVisa30 daysIf staying in Azerbaijan for more than ten days, visitors must register at the State Migration Service within three days of arrival.
Applicants of Armenian ancestry or with Armenian visas in their passport may be denied a visa.
Currently, the direct flight between New York and Baku is suspended, so the visa on arrival has also been suspended.
- eVisa180 dayse-Visa holders must arrive via 26 designated airports
An Indian e-Tourist Visa can only be obtained twice in one calendar year.
Foreigners of Pakistani origin or who hold a Pakistani Passport are not eligible for an e-Visa. Foreigners who are not Pakistani nationals, but whose parents or grandparents (either paternal or maternal) were born in, or were permanent residents in Pakistan, are also not eligible for an eVisa.
Visitors are fingerprinted.
American citizens are eligible for a ten-year, multiple-entry tourist visa (not an e-visa).
American citizens of Pakistani heritage are not eligible for an eVisa nor are they eligible for a ten-year, multiple-entry tourist visa, and must apply for a regular visa.
- eVisa28 dayseVisa holders must arrive via Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw or Mandalay airports or via land border crossings at Tachileik, Myawaddy, Kawthaung, Rih Khaw Dar or Tamu.
eVisa available for both tourism (allowed stay is 28 days) or business (allowed stay is 70 days) purposes.
- eVisa3 monthsMay enter using eGate.
International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) must be paid upon requesting an Electronic Travel Authority. IVL not required for American Samoan citizens.
Holders of an Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Resident Return Visa may be granted a New Zealand Resident Visa on arrival permitting indefinite stay (pursuant to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement.
- eVisa90 daysBusiness eVisas-on-arrival available for "Frequently Traveled Business Persons of International Reputes" or "Executives of Multi-national Companies", as well as for government officials
International Certificate of Vaccination required if arriving from a country with a risk of yellow fever transmission
- eVisa90 daysDetermined at the port of entry.
Must apply online at least 2 business days prior to travel.
Airlines may deny passengers permission to board flights to Uganda without proof that they had successfully applied for an eVisa.
Ugandan immigration authorities may require additional documentation, including proof of a return plane ticket and detailed tour itinerary in Uganda.
International Certificate of Vaccination required.
- eVisa30 days5-day visa-free transit at the international airports if holding a confirmed onward ticket for a flight to a third country.
Registration within 3 days is mandatory.
U.S. citizens under the age of 16 or over the age of 55 traveling to Uzbekistan for tourism purposes are eligible for visa-free entry for a period of up to 90 days and 30 days, respectively.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 18 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of Puerto Rico.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at Luangphabang, Pakse and Vientiane international airports, the 4 Thai-Lao Friendship Bridges
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through Luangphabang, Pakse and Vientiane international airports, 3 Thai-Lao Friendship Bridges
Visa on arrival is extendable for an additional 60 days at the Department of Immigration in Vientiane.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
21 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of Puerto Rico. This requirement may be waived off if Puerto Rican citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
- Visa RequiredVisitors born in Afghanistan do not require a visa.
All visitors are fingerprinted, and are required to register with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs upon arrival.
The U.S. government forced all Afghan diplomatic missions in the U.S. to close in March 2022. Applicants must now obtain a visa from a mission in another country.
The Taliban accepts visas issued by diplomatic missions not under its control.
- Visa RequiredRegistration mandatory within 24 hours of arrival.
All visitors between the ages of 14 and 70 are fingerprinted upon arrival and departure.
24-hour visa-free transit through China (unless arriving in Fuzhou, Huangshan, Mudanjiang, Shenzhen or Yanji).
72-hour visa-free transit through Changsha, Guilin and Harbin.
144-hour visa-free transit through Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jieyang, Kunming, Nanjing, Ningbo, Qinhuangdao, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xiamen and Xi'an.
Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan count as third countries under the 24, 72 and 144-hours transit without visa (TWOV) policies.
Visas for U.S. citizens are valid for up to 10 years.
- Visa RequiredTourist travel is prohibited under U.S. law for U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and others subject to U.S. jurisdiction.
Cuba requires travelers to purchase a tourist card prior to arrival, which can be obtained from the airline or a Cuban diplomatic mission. Tourist cards are valid for one entry and a 30-day stay, which can be extended once by 90 days at a hotel or immigration office in Cuba.
Cuba requires travelers to have health insurance valid in Cuba, which can be purchased from the airline.
- Visa RequiredIranian visas must be obtained from the Iranian Interests section of the Embassy of Pakistan, Washington, D.C. or an Iranian embassy in a third country.
U.S. visitors are fingerprinted and photographed upon entry.
Independent travelers must be accompanied by an authorized guide at all times.
- Visa Required72-hour visa-free transit for international cruise ship/ferry passengers only if travelling with an organized tour and accompanied at all times by a tour operator.
Registration required after 7 business days.
American citizens may receive multiple-entry visas valid for three years.
- Visa RequiredRegistration required within 15 days.
Persons with passports bearing Israeli visas or entry/exit stamps are not allowed to enter.
Visa not required for foreign citizens with proof of Syrian origin, such as an identification card or passport
Dual-citizen males ages 17–42 need military service book
If not forgiven by the military, dual-citizens may apply for a visit visa once a year through the embassy
In order to trave to 1 destination, passport holders of Puerto Rico must meet special conditions, and may not be allowed to enter at all.
- Special RequirementsU.S. passports holders must obtain a special passport validation from the U.S. federal government before travel.
U.S. secretary of state, Rex Tillerson, authorized a ban on American travel to North Korea that went into effect in August 2017, following the death of Otto Warmbier, a US student who was detained in North Korea and sentenced to 15 years of hard labor for allegedly stealing a poster.
Information last updated on .