Visa Requirements for Irish Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of Ireland
Freedom of Travel
Irish passport holders can travel to 31 destinations without a visa. Identify cards or passports may be required.
Visa Not Required
78 destinations allow visa-free entry to Irish citizens.
- Visa-Free30 daysTravellers must arrive via Minsk International Airport to avail of visa-free access.
Travellers must also depart from Minsk International Airport, to a destination outside of Belarus and Russia.
Visa on arrival is not available to tourists travelling from Russia.
Irish citizens are allowed to stay without a visa for 15 days in the regions of Brest and Grodno
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 23 destinations for passport holders of Ireland.
- Visa On Arrival30 daysA visa on arrival is only available at Qeshm, Kish, Mashhad, Isfahan, Shiraz, Tabriz and Tehran.
Extension of stay is possible.
Women will be refused entry if not wearing Islamic head cover, scarf, long sleeves or stockings.
All foreigners must report to the Iranian police within 8 days of arrival.
Visa on arrival excludes all reporters, journalists, photographers and cameramen, who must obtain a visa prior to entering Iran.
A visa on arrival for business travellers is available if holding a letter of invitation from a government agency which is issued at least 2 days prior to arrival.
- Visa On Arrival6 monthsA free visa on arrival may be obtained only when travel is organised through an authorised tour operator in Jordan. The tour group must not consist of less than 5 people and there must be a minimum 2 night stay in Jordan. A return ticket must be presented to avail of this visa option.
All other passengers who are not travelling as part of a tour group may obtain a visa on arrival, subject to a fee. The visa on arrival has a maximum validity of 6 months.
Visa fees may be waived for those in possession of a Jordan Pass depending on the length of their visit to the kingdom.
Irish passport allows entry to 13 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
- eVisa30 daysVisitors who have been granted an online pre-visa or have requested such pre-visa from the consulates of Angola abroad, are then issued with a visa on arrival at the country's border check points.
For a maximum total stay of 90 days within a one year period.
Besides having printed confirmation that a visa will be issued upon arrival, passengers must: have a return/onward ticket, and have a hotel reservation confirmation.
- eVisa28 dayseVisa holders must arrive via Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw or Mandalay airports or via land border crossings with Thailand — Tachileik, Myawaddy and Kawthaung or India — Rih Khaw Dar and Tamu.
eVisa available for both tourism (allowed stay is 28 days) or business (allowed stay is 70 days) purposes.
- eVisa30 daysA visa waiver is in place for travellers who are arriving directly from the Emirate of Dubai who have a visa or an entrance stamp from Dubai, whereby the visa must be valid for 21 days at least upon arrival in Oman.
A visa waiver is in place for travellers who are arriving directly from Qatar, whereby the visa must state as being valid for Oman and must be valid for at least one month on arrival.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 19 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of Ireland.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at international airports Luangphabang, Pakse, Savannakhet and Vientiane, and at 4 land borders Friendship Bridge,
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through the following entry points — Wattay International Airport and the First Thai–Lao Friendship Bridge
Entry points Lalai, Lantui, Meuang mom, Pakxan, and Phoudou are open only to visa holders.
Visa on arrival is extendable up to 60 days.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival90 daysESTA required if arriving by air or cruise ship.
ESTA is valid for two years when issued.
Holders of non-biometric passports must obtain a visa for the United States as they are ineligible to apply for an ESTA.
Leaving the United States and re-entering from Canada or Mexico will not reset the original 90 day maximum stay. You can only reset the timer by leaving North America.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
28 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of Ireland. This requirement may be waived off if Irish citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
- Visa Required24-hour visit without a visa when in transit through China (unless arriving in Fuzhou Changle International Airport, Huangshan Tunxi International Airport, Mudanjiang Hailang Airport, Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport and Yanji Chaoyangchuan Airport).
72-hour visit without a visa when in transit through Changsha, Guilin and Harbin.
144-hours visit without a visa when in transit through Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jieyang, Kunming, Nanjing, Ningbo, Qinhuangdao, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xiamen and Xi'an.
Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan do count as third countries under the 24, 72 and 144-hours visa-free transit (TWOV) policies.
- Visa RequiredPre-approved visa can be picked up on arrival.
Passengers arriving in Libya must hold a non-objection form issued by the Libyan Immigration Authorities.
All travellers arriving in Libya for tourism must convert $1000 USD in freely convertible currency, or debit the amount from a credit card upon arrival in the country.
- Visa RequiredVisa waiver available for passengers arriving by cruise only who are staying in Russia for a maximum of 72 hours.
As of July 1, 2019, visitors to the Kaliningrad exclave may avail of an e-Visa (free) for trips of up to 8 days. Onward travel to other regions of Russia is not permitted.
Starting from October 1, 2019, Irish nationals may be granted an e-visa to enter the Russian Federation through air, naval, automobile, and pedestrian checkpoints located in the territory of Saint Petersburg and the Leningrad region.
Information last updated on .