Visa Requirements for Hong Konger Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of Hong Kong
Visa Not Required
108 destinations allow visa-free entry to Hong Konger citizens.
- Visa-Free6 monthsStarting from 2021, Canada will roll out a new scheme for Hong Kong residents migrating to the country after the enforcement of the national security law. 3 years work permits will be available for those who were graduated from either a recognised Canadian or overseas post-secondary institution in the last five years. If approved, their spouse or partner as well as children can also apply to come with them. Details of proving a path to Canadian citizenship will be announced in 2021.
eTA required if arriving by air.
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 19 destinations for passport holders of Hong Kong.
- Visa On Arrival1 month1 month extendable for 2 additional months
Granted free of charge at Beirut International Airport or any other port of entry if there is no Israeli visa or seal, holding a telephone number, an address in Lebanon, and a non refundable return or circle trip ticket.
Hong Konger passport allows entry to 15 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
- eVisa90 days90 days on each visit in 12-month period if granted
Starting from 21 August 2020, Hong Kong passport holders are eligible for applying 5 years student and temporary skilled visas after the enforcement of the national security law. After meeting the requirement of the 5 years stay, the visa holder can apply the Australian citizenship.
- eVisaElectronic visa holders must arrive via Manas International Airport or Osh Airport or through land crossings with China (at Irkeshtam and Torugart), Kazakhstan (at Ak-jol, Ak-Tilek, Chaldybar, Chon-Kapka), Tajikistan (at Bor-Dobo, Kulundu, Kyzyl-Bel) and Uzbekistan (at Dostuk).
- eVisa3 monthsInternational Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy must be paid upon requesting an Electronic Travel Authority.
Holders of an Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Resident Return Visa may be granted a New Zealand Resident Visa on arrival permitting indefinite stay (pursuant to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement), subject to meeting character requirements and obtaining an Electronic Travel Authority prior to departure.
- eVisa30 daysDue to SARS-CoV-2, Vietnamese government was stopped issuing the travel visas to the ordinary passport holders of Chinese citizens, including Hong Kong and Macau SAR passport holders. The e-visa application has been resumed for application to Hong Kong and Macau Chinese passport holders from 8 February 2020.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 13 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of Hong Kong.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at international airports Luangphabang, Pakse, Savannakhet and Vientiane, and at 4 land borders Friendship Bridge,
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through the following entry points — Wattay International Airport and the First Thai–Lao Friendship Bridge
Entry points Lalai, Lantui, Meuang mom, Pakxan, and Phoudou are open only to visa holders.
Visa on arrival is extendable up to 60 days.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysEntry permit on arrival for NT$300. Free online registration prior to arrival is also available. Applicable only to those born in Hong Kong or Macau, or those who have previously entered Taiwan at least once as a permanent resident of Hong Kong. Not applicable to HKSAR passport holders with nationality or citizenship of another country except for persons with dual Chinese nationality and British National (Overseas) status.
In addition, HKSAR passport holders can now apply entry permit online for free.
To avoid the spread of COVID-19, all Hong Kong residents are not allowed to visit Taiwan from 7 February 2020, applicants should apply by desk at the representative offices of Taiwan and providing entry and departure records proving without travel records to the mainland China within 14 days if having special and emergency reasons.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
35 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of Hong Kong. This requirement may be waived off if Hong Konger citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
In order to trave to 1 destination, passport holders of Hong Kong must meet special conditions, and may not be allowed to enter at all.
- Special RequirementsEntry to Mainland China cannot be on a HKSAR passport. However, all eligible for a HKSAR passport are also eligible to apply for a separate Mainland Travel Permit(MTP), otherwise and previously known as a home return permit, allowing the holder to enter and stay in Mainland China for indefinite period until its expiry (as a tourist/ for business, those who wish to take up employment or studies need to apply for separate study/ work permits in addition to their MTP.) Issuance of the MTP however is not guaranteed for all Chinese citizens of Hong Kong and is at the sole discretion of the Bureau of Exit and Entry Administration of the Ministry of Public Security of China.
Disagreements between Hong Kong and 3 destinations have imposed restrictions in traveling to Hong Kong.
Information last updated on .