Visa Requirements for Hong Konger Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of Hong Kong
Visa Not Required
109 destinations allow visa-free entry to Hong Konger citizens.
- Visa-Free6 monthsStarting from 2021, Canada rolled out a new scheme for Hong Kong residents migrating to the country after the enforcement of the national security law. Two streams were provided - (1) 3 years work permits will be available for those who were graduated from either a recognised Canadian or overseas post-secondary institution in the last five years. (2) persons who have worked in Canada for at least 12 months full time, or an equal amount of part-time hours. If approved, their spouse or partner as well as children can also apply to come with them. Applicants will be eligible for applying Canadian Permanent residency in Canada afterwards.
eTA required if arriving by air.
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 13 destinations for passport holders of Hong Kong.
- Visa On Arrival1 month1 month extendable for 2 additional months
Granted free of charge at Beirut International Airport or any other port of entry if there is no Israeli visa or seal, holding a telephone number, an address in Lebanon, and a non refundable return or circle trip ticket.
Hong Konger passport allows entry to 22 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
- eVisa90 days90 days on each visit in 12-month period if granted
Starting from 21 August 2020, Hong Kong passport holders are eligible for applying 5 years student and temporary skilled visas after the enforcement of the national security law. After meeting the requirement of the 5 years stay, eligible visa holders can apply for permanent residence in the same manner like other nationalities.
- eVisaElectronic visa holders must arrive via Manas International Airport or Osh Airport or through land crossings with China (at Irkeshtam and Torugart), Kazakhstan (at Ak-jol, Ak-Tilek, Chaldybar, Chon-Kapka), Tajikistan (at Bor-Dobo, Kulundu, Kyzyl-Bel) and Uzbekistan (at Dostuk).
- eVisa3 monthsInternational Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy must be paid upon requesting an Electronic Travel Authority.
Holders of an Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Resident Return Visa may be granted a New Zealand Resident Visa on arrival permitting indefinite stay (pursuant to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement), subject to meeting character requirements and obtaining an Electronic Travel Authority prior to departure.
- eVisa90 daysChinese citizens of Hong Kong can enter South Korea as a short term visit (e.g., tours, visiting relatives or friends, attending simple meetings) up to 90 days without a visa, though you should remain aware of the quarantine requirements. You must also have an onward or return ticket. It is illegal to work on a tourist visa, whether as a teacher or in any other capacity.
You must be in possession of a Korea Electronic Travel Authorization (K-ETA) to enter Korea visa-free. You can complete your K-ETA application up to 24 hours before boarding your flight and it will be valid for two years from the date of approval. There is a small, non-refundable charge.
HKSAR passport has right to get E-ETA free till 2024.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 15 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of Hong Kong.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at Luangphabang, Pakse and Vientiane international airports, the 4 Thai-Lao Friendship Bridges
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through Luangphabang, Pakse and Vientiane international airports, 3 Thai-Lao Friendship Bridges
Visa on arrival is extendable for an additional 60 days at the Department of Immigration in Vientiane.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
33 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of Hong Kong. This requirement may be waived off if Hong Konger citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
- Visa RequiredChinese citizens of Hong Kong who do receive a visa are normally issued with 10-years multiple-entry combination B1/B2 visas, and each entry can stay for a maximum of 6 months (the period of stay is subject to the border immigration officer)
On August 5, 2021, President Joe Biden directed the Department of Homeland Security to implement a "deferral of removal" for up to 18 months for Hong Kong residents currently in the United States, in response to Beijing's implementation of the Hong Kong National Security Law. Eligible Hong Kongers can apply for a work permit.
In order to trave to 1 destination, passport holders of Hong Kong must meet special conditions, and may not be allowed to enter at all.
- Special RequirementsEntry to Mainland China cannot be on a HKSAR passport. However, all eligible for a HKSAR passport are also eligible to apply for a separate Mainland Travel Permit (MTP), otherwise and previously known as a Home Return Permit, allowing the holder to enter and stay in Mainland China for indefinite period until its expiry (as a tourist / for business, those who wish to take up employment or studies need to apply for separate study/work permits in addition to their MTP). Issuance of the MTP, however, is not guaranteed for all Chinese citizens of Hong Kong and is at the sole discretion of the Bureau of Exit and Entry Administration of the Ministry of Public Security of China.
MTP not required if transiting through Beijing-Capital, Beijing-Daxing, Shanghai-Hongqiao, Shanghai-Pudong, and Guangzhou. Cannot leave the sterile area of the airport if only holding the HKSAR Passport.
Information last updated on .