Visa Requirements for German Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of Germany
Freedom of Travel
German passport holders can travel to 30 destinations without a visa. Identify cards or passports may be required.
Visa Not Required
87 destinations allow visa-free entry to German citizens.
- Visa-Free30 daysMust arrive and depart via Minsk International Airport.
Visas for longer stays can be issued on arrival at the Minsk Airport if the support documents were submitted not later than 3 business days before expected date of arrival.
If arriving from Russia or land borders outside designated crossings in Brest Region and Grodno Region a pre-issued visa is required.
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 14 destinations for passport holders of Germany.
- Visa On Arrival1 monthExtendable for 2 additional months
Granted free of charge at Beirut International Airport or any other port of entry if there is no Israeli visa or seal, holding a telephone number, an address in Lebanon, and a non refundable return or circle trip ticket.
German passport allows entry to 15 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
- eVisa30 daysVisitors who have been granted an online pre-visa or have requested a pre-visa from an Angolan consulate abroad are issued a visa upon arrival at the country's border crossings.
Maximum total stay of 90 days within a one-year period.
Visitors must have a return/onward ticket and a hotel reservation confirmation.
- eVisa3 monthsMay enter using eGate.
International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy must be paid upon requesting an Electronic Travel Authority.
Holders of an Australian Permanent Resident Visa or Resident Return Visa may be granted a New Zealand Resident Visa on arrival permitting indefinite stay (pursuant to the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement), subject to meeting character requirements and obtaining an Electronic Travel Authority prior to departure.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 21 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of Germany.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at Luangphabang, Pakse, Savannakhet and Vientiane international airports, the 4 Thai-Lao Friendship Bridges,
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through Wattay International Airport and the First Thai–Lao Friendship Bridge
The Lalai, Lantui, Meuang mom, Pakxan, and Phoudou border crossings are open only to visa holders.
Visa on arrival is extendable up to 60 days.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival28 dayseVisa holders must arrive via Yangon, Nay Pyi Taw or Mandalay airports or via land border crossings with Thailand — Tachileik, Myawaddy and Kawthaung or India — Rih Khaw Dar and Tamu.
eVisa available for both tourism (allowed stay is 28 days) or business (allowed stay is 70 days) purposes.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
25 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of Germany. This requirement may be waived off if German citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
- Visa Required24-hour visa-free transit through China (unless arriving in Fuzhou, Huangshan, Mudanjiang, Shenzhen or Yanji).
72-hour visa-free transit through Changsha, Guilin and Harbin.
144-hour visa-free transit through Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jieyang, Kunming, Nanjing, Ningbo, Qinhuangdao, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xiamen and Xi'an.
Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan count as third countries under the 24, 72 and 144-hours transit without visa (TWOV) policies.
All TWOV programs are currently suspended due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Information last updated on .