Visa Requirements for Australian Citizens
Visa Information for Passport Holders of Australia
Visa Not Required
100 destinations allow visa-free entry to Australian citizens.
- Visa-FreeAustralian citizens and permanent residents are eligible to be granted a Resident Visa on arrival under the Trans-Tasman Travel Arrangement, provided that they meet New Zealand character requirements.
Under the Immigration Act 2009, Australian citizens and permanent residents granted a Resident Visa on arrival are entitled to live, work and study in New Zealand indefinitely.
From 1 October 2019, permanent residents of Australia must obtain an Electronic Travel Authority prior to travelling to New Zealand. Australian citizens are exempt from this requirement.
Australian citizens and permanent residents who do not meet character requirements (as described in Sections 15 and 16 of the Immigration Act 2009) will not be granted a Resident Visa on arrival, and must apply for a visa prior to travel.
Visa On Arrival
A visa can be obtained upon arrival at 27 destinations for passport holders of Australia.
- Visa On Arrival1 monthVisa extendible for 2 additional months
Granted free of charge at Beirut International Airport or any other port of entry if there is no Israeli visa or seal, holding a telephone number, an address in Lebanon, and a non refundable return or circle trip ticket.
Australian passport allows entry to 14 destinations with an eVisa obtained prior to arrival.
- eVisa30 daysVisitors who have been granted an online pre-visa or have requested such pre-visa from the consulates of Angola abroad, are then issued with a visa on arrival at the country's border check points.
For a maximum total stay of 90 days within a one year period.
Besides having printed confirmation that a visa will be issued upon arrival, passengers must: have a return/onward ticket, and have a hotel reservation confirmation.
eVisa / On Arrival
For 22 destinations, On-Arrival visa or an electronic visa / auhtorization is available to passport holders of Australia.
- eVisa or Visa On Arrival30 daysVisa on arrival is available at international airports Luangphabang, Pakse, Savannakhet and Vientiane, and at 4 land borders Friendship Bridge,
eVisa may be used to enter Laos through the following entry points — Wattay International Airport and the First Thai–Lao Friendship Bridge
Entry points Lalai, Lantui, Meuang mom, Pakxan, and Phoudou are open only to visa holders.
Visa on arrival is extendable up to 60 days.
Pre-arranged Visa Required
29 destinations require a visa obtained at an embassy or consulate prior to arrival from passport holders of Australia. This requirement may be waived off if Australian citizens meet certain alternate requirements such as holding other visas or resident permits.
- Visa Required24-hour visit without a visa when in transit through China (unless arriving in Fuzhou Changle International Airport, Huangshan Tunxi International Airport, Mudanjiang Hailang Airport, Shenzhen Bao'an International Airport and Yanji Chaoyangchuan Airport).
72-hour visit without a visa when in transit through Changsha, Guilin and Harbin.
144-hours visit without a visa when in transit through Beijing, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Jieyang, Kunming, Nanjing, Ningbo, Qinhuangdao, Qingdao, Shanghai, Shenyang, Shenzhen, Shijiazhuang, Tianjin, Wuhan, Xiamen and Xi'an.
Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan do count as third countries under the 24, 72 and 144-hours visa-free transit (TWOV) policies.
Information last updated on .